Harriet the Spy

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Technology-schmology.....just make it work, damnit!

So I'm one of the many that has been caught in the AT&T-Cingular merger and have been told that if I "switch" to Cingular I can benefit from rollover minutes and free mobile to mobile calling. Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the catch is that you have to buy a new "Cingular" phone. I've had my current phone, a Sony-Ericsson t68i for nearly 3 years now and despite the fact that it isn't as "hip" as it used to be, it's hella functional. It has built-in Bluetooth, infrared, and international band functionality. No, it doesn't play cutesy songs, but I can hook it up to my Palm Pilot and check my e-mail from a cruise ship in the middle of the Aegean sea, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Anyway, the point of my rant is that none of the current offerings from Cingular can do what my little phone can for less than $400. (And those phones are all big and bulky anyway). Why is it so difficult for these companies to grasp the fact that not everyone wants to take pictures on their phone? I have a super camera for that. I just want to have a cell phone that works where I want it to, and with whatever gadgets I'd like to pair it up with. (Maybe that's why I like my Mac so much--so functional without all the bullshit). In any event, the closest thing Cingular has is the Motorola V551, which doesn't have infrared. (But, luckily, Gomadic makes a cable that I can use to pair it with my Palm). Anyway, I may hold off for a while but I am curious if any of you have the V551 and what you think of it. Drop me a line in the comments section with your advice!

2 Comments:

  • OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.

    DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. DOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    GET THE ATT WIRELESS/CINGULAR MOTOROLA V551.

    I DO NOT KNOW HOW I CAN SAY THIS ANY MORE EMPHATICALLY. IT IS THE WORST PHONE I HAVE EVER OWNED.

    I've had mine for maybe a month and a half, and realized I hated it after the "satisfaction" period expired. The phone is a piece of shit. It is slow to do anything (like scroll through numbers) and it seems to have so many features, that none of them actually work.

    ON TOP OF THIS -

    I drop every. single. call. I. Receive.

    Every call.

    In my house, I drop calls. In the hallway, I drop calls. If I touch a lamp, I drop calls. On top of that, the call quality SUCKS. It's bulky, it's heavy, sure it's cute, but it's really a godawful phone. I cannot wait the 11 months until I don't have to have this phone anymore.

    Ghastly.

    That's my 2 cents.

    By Blogger SuperBee, at 11:29 PM  

  • Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to hold off for a while because I'd really rather have another Sony Ericsson. I've been very happy with my current one...plus, I don't want to have to buy all of the stupid accessories all over again.

    By Blogger JB, at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home