Harriet the Spy

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Serendipity is...

...my awesome, and totally-by-mistake trifecta at Jai Alai tonight.

Let me start out with a little background for those of you who aren't exactly up with what's been going on with my recent life. Chad and I have been going to Jai Alai for a little over a year now. At first it was just something for us to do. Then, he decided he wanted to make his thesis film about Jai Alai. So, we started going more often. (For those of you who are unaware, Jai Alai is one of the few sports that you can gamble on legally in Florida). I got better at the gambling the more we went, but I don't think I've ever hit a payoff of more than $50 or so. Well, tonight was the night, and entirely by mistake. I usually place my bets at the window, but tonight I was using one of the betting machines because we were there with a big group of people and it was just more convenient. Normally, I'm pretty good with technology, but I sort of screwed up at the betting machine. Chad and I were going to place our normal quinella box bets, and he also wanted a trifecta box of the same 3 numbers. Well, in making his bet for him, I screwed up and pushed the buttons to bet a $1 1-3-5 straight trifecta. So, being the good girlfriend that I am, I re-placed his box bet for those numbers ($6) and figured I would eat the $1 loss for my mistake. What a fortunate mistake it was. We both wound up hitting the trifecta for around $100 each, plus we won our quinella bets too ($18 each). It was fucking awesome.

To top it off, Stuart took us up to the simulcast box to watch the last match, which, I know now, is the only way to watch Jai Alai. Best seats in the house.

I really like Jai Alai, but in a way it kind of makes me sad, too. I wish I was around to see it in it's hey-day, when thousands of people would be in the audience rather than a few hundred. I'm really excited about Chad's film, though. If nothing else I hope it introduces a new audience to a really amazing and exhilarating sport.

And, now I don't feel so bad about buying those new jeans this week. Yea Jai Alai.

2 Comments:

  • I agree about the hey-day comment. Stu took me to a few games while I lived down there and I really wish it was more popular with the newer generations. Oh well. I don't live there anymore, so I don't have much to complain about.

    By Blogger Jason Lancaster, at 1:38 PM  

  • Ahh...so you are the genius ex-roommate I've heard about, eh? Wish I could have been more help with the legal advice, but I can guarantee you'll be better off with a real lawyer. At least then you can sue them for malpractice when they screw up. ;-)

    By Blogger JB, at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home