Harriet the Spy

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Calling all cooks....

Since a few of you seemed to take issue with my turkey meatloaf, maybe you can help me find something else to make. Pork Vesuvio. Let me preface that, actually.

Around the fall of 2001 or 2002 (I really can't remember....college is a little hazy), Chad was making a documentary about street performers in Key West for an independent study he was doing. This was all OK with me, because we got to go to the Keys like every other week or so. I also got to use his mom's washing machine, which was an added bonus, since the washing machines in the dorms sucked. What does this have to do with pork vesuvio you might be wondering? Well, there used to be a fantastic Italian restaurant around mile marker 80-something called Dino's. This was a family run place where the little Italian grandma made the desserts. They also had a special called Pork Vesuvio that was absolutely awesome. I was told that it had been roasting in the oven for over four hours before you ever even ordered it. If they had it on the menu when we went, I ordered it--no need to look at the menu or anything. Anyway, Dino's closed a few years back, which is a real shame. If I would have known it was going to close, I would have done just about anything to get that recipe. I've searched all over the internet to find a similar recipe, but the closest thing I've come up with is chicken vesuvio, and it doesn't sound anything like my beloved pork dish. As best I can remember, this was like a pork shank or something-- it definitely had a bone in it--and I seem to remember some type of brown sauce or gravy on it. If any of you have any clue what I'm talking about, or better yet, a recipe, please share! I'll even make it for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home